Tuesday, November 21, 2006

my heart, right now

The plight of refugees was something that I never really considered until I came to Baltimore to work. Since then I have been exposed to many of the realities of refugees and IDP’s, through my work and through reading books about Afghanistan and other places. The issues that effect refugees and IDP’s have become very real to me, and its very very sad. When you see these images of Darfur, you can look at the people depicted and realize that many have not known a life without conflict (the civil war in Sudan has been going on for 20 years). It makes you feel so selfish. At a time in my life where I look forward to the possibilities of the future, of a wide open world where I could do very many things, these people just hope to live with their families in peace. Simply having options would be a wonderful thing to them.

I also thought about this last week when I ran across this article from the BBC. Who can say for sure why these women have chosen to do this, but I know that my experience and understanding of South Asia would indicate its because they have no choice. They may see no hope in their future, no potential for life outside of the one that has been decided for them. It is very sad, and it makes me feel lucky that I have an education, options, a future, potential, the ability to dream and hope that those dreams become reality.

It also makes me feel that I could have just as easily been one of them…….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should definitely blog more. Come on, everyone's doing it. Even sexy guys who wear ties...