Wednesday, November 08, 2006

tired but happy

I am tired this morning. Why? Because I got way too caught up in watching the results last night. I spent significant amounts of time flipping tv stations and hitting the refresh button on the political blogs and cnn.com. What I all boils down to is that I am apparently very much a politics geek, but we all have to be true to ourselves.

Needless to say, I am happy this morning, though no doubt there are many people who aren’t (like my friend Brent). All across the country the Dems won races, including the Senate race in Minnesota which saw Mark Kennedy defeated (if there was ever a snarky politician in the world, it would be Mark Kennedy). Maryland has a new Governor and Senator, both who are democrats. And in my home state of Wisconsin, Doyle defeated Green (yay), Kagen defeated Gard (yay) and Kohl remained a senator. The abortion ban in South Dakota was defeated (double yay). First female speaker (fabulous!). The only sad point for me was that WI approved the amendment to ban gay marriage (an argument for another time).

Watching all the coverage last night, I was shocked at how the media has not seemed to have learned the lesson that so many years of tight races should have taught them: projections are not results. It irritates me to no end that they project the winners of races even when the actual precinct reports don’t match up. Last night in MD both O’Malley (Governor) and Cardin (Senate) were anointed winners while the results were still showing Ehrlich and Steele in the lead. It bothers me a lot.

Anyway, that’s all I’m going to write about politics.

No comments: