Monday, February 11, 2008

back in the saddle

So, I'm going to give the whole blogging thing another shot. It's been a while, quite a while, since I shared the goings on of my life on the internet! I actually think part of this is because I have become a bit more private over the past year and a half..or maybe its because I didn't think anyone really looked at my blog or cared about my thoughts, and I didn't feel the need to at least put them out there anymore.

Anyway, now that a blog worthy moment has come in my life I thought I would start again and see where it takes me. I arrived in Khartoum on Saturday night, very VERY tired from my journey. It's been awhile since flying has made me that tired, but I think it was also pent up fatigue from the previous week. Packing up your life and leaving for 3 months is not as easy as I thought it would be, and it really stressted me out! But it's over now, happily, and I'm glad.

I stepped off the plane on Saturday and walked down the steps, inhaling the air of Khartoum. It was dusk, and the sweet smell of burning dung was in the air (you may laugh, but it is very distinct and is not all that unpleasant). Of course, I was the absolutely last person from my flight to clear customs, as well as the last person to pick up their bags. When I finally left the airport all I really wanted was a meal, a shower and a bed.

So, I spent Sunday and Monday working and adjusting. We have one staff member here, so he and I will hang around until I leave next week for my next destination. Khartoum is fine, but really quiet. It will be good for me too, though, because I can get some work done before I fly into the unknown. I wish I had more interesting things to report! :)

No comments: