Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

So, updating time. What has happened since the last time I wrote? I went to Udaipur, visiting Christine and spending an obscene amount of rupees on presents for me and others. I also, coincidentally, saw the Oscars on T.V. I could make arguments about the juxtaposition of the expensive dresses and ridiculous honors for, of all things, movies while being in a third world country wracked with poverty and malnutrition. But with the frame of mind I was in at the time, it was a relief to connect with some semblance (any semblance, really) of American life.

After the Udaipur stop I went off to Ahmedabad for a Western Regional meeting of the International Women's Health Meeting. That international gala is happening in Delhi in September (on my birthday actually) so I will miss it, but I have been involved with alot of prep for it here, as much as Prayas has done. There were reps from NGO's from four states: Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Goa. It was really interesting to hear about all the different issues in each state. Goa was by far the most interesting, because they have very unique problems. Native Goans actually have fairly good statistics and numbers, but the problems there are mostly tourism related. The sex industry, migration for work, and lack of food availability because of tourism is all a problem. The food thing really got to me. They were talking all about how fresh fruits and seafood are not available to locals because the restaurants can push prices up for tourists. As they said this, I was thinking about the restaurant in Palolem where Christine and I had breakfast every morning, complete with a divine fruit salad.

There was another American at this meeting. Her parents are from Gujarat, and she is there on a Fulbright scholarship. Seema took Christine and I out after the meeting to a coffee shop and bookstore, and then before we left we had dinner at, SUBWAY. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, joining Pizza Hut and McDonald's, Subway now is on the list of American chains I have frequented while in India.

I caught the bus home with the people from Seva Mandir, and then rode from Udaipur to Chittor on my own. In those 3 hours, I began to feel ill. I had been a little off in Ahmedabad, but this was when I began to get sick. Somehow, I got off the bus and home before I completely lost it. I was dizzy and nauseous for no apparent reason, and it was pretty scary for me. I scared my family pretty good, because when I get sick like that I don't eat or drink anything until I know it won't come up again. They asked me if I wanted a doctor, and I said yes. Piyush wasn't home at the time, so Dr. Sharma called a family member/neighbor from down the street. When he came, it became obvious that I would have to balance myself on a bike while they took me. I could barely walk around the room without holding on to the wall for dear life, and told them I couldn't go on a bike. Dr. Sharma went back to the phone and called Prayas while the family member/neighbor went out to buy some fruit for me. A few minutes later, Dr. Gupta (who is a medical doctor) and Anjali came through the door looking very concerned. The neighbor from upstairs came down with her blood pressure machine, and as I was laying in bed I took an inventory of the scene. In my room, while I laid on my bed dizzy and nauseous, was Anjali, Dr. Gupta, Kavita, Dr. Sharma, the neighbor from upstairs, the family member/neighbor from down the street, Kush, Shubhi and one of their friends.

After it became apparent I wasn't dying, Dr. Sharma and Dr. Gupta sat there chatting about politics, and Kavita brought chai for everyone like it was some sort of social occasion! It was the funniest, oddest thing that has happened to me in awhile, and I would have found it more humorous at the time if all my energy hadn't been focused in trying to keep the world from spinning.

Now that I have recovered and March is here, I am finding that my outlook is far rosier than its been for a long time. I am going to Jaipur on Sunday to spend time there, and then Christine and I and maybe Tim are going to Varanasi. Some travel time is just what I need. Then, after that, 3 more weeks at Prayas, a quick jaunt to Mumbai to see Pallavi married, and last minute goodbyes in Jaipur, and I will be back in the states. Part of me can't believe I have survived thus far. It won't be long now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know a lot of people read this, but no one comments! i'm sure you get emails though. i always liked the comments that uncle alan left you. :( anyway... i am sorry you were that sick while you were in india. i know that when i am sick, all i want to do is be home. and you probably feel the same way. so, that sucks. but i'm glad you are better!