Friday, March 25, 2005

Delhi, Now

I am in Delhi now. Christine and I went to Varanasi for a few days before this. It was a very nice place with a great vibe. For both of us it was a favorite, although looking back on everything I don't think there are too many places I have been in India that I didn't like.

For the most part, Varanasi was extremely hot. Our hotel room was 90 degrees morning and night. The ghats were an incredible thing to see, and the Ganges was far bigger than I expected it to be. For some reason I imagined it to be this quaint little river that was packed with people 24/7. But the expanse of the river was massive, and it looks like it gets even bigger and higher during the monsoon seasons. The thing that is bad about the river, though, is the pollution. Besides being a place for worship and bathing, it is also where Hindus bury their dead. Along with that waste, the city of Varanasi also pumps sewage into the river. According to the Lonely Planet, the water has so much polluted millions of times over the amount that is considered safe for bathing. The ghats were also very peaceful. For the most part, the area held as much quiet silence as the serene beaches of Goa held.

I have to tell this story. One day, Christine and I went out to Sarnath near Varanasi. This was the site where Buddha achieved enlightenment, and Christine really wanted to see it so, off we went. The temples were nice and the area was really peaceful. Christine heard of a Buddhist monastery nearby and wanted to go, so we hopped in our rickshaw and went off in that general direction. As we were going along the road, we came upon a young (kinda cute) monk. We asked him where the monastery was and then had him hop in with us. So its Christine, Me and this monk bouncing along on these really bad roads. It was so funny, and as soon as it happened I knew I needed to write about it. The monastery was really beautiful, by the way.

On our train out of town we sat next to an Indian couple from Tamil Nadu and three loud Israelis. Actually, it was two quiet Israelis and one really loud, semi-obnoxious one. This guy just seemed to have no respect for Indian people and was loud and rude. He was nice to Christine and I, but that didn't make up for his obnoxiousness. It prompted a conversation later between the two of us about Israelis in general. There are a lot of Israeli young people who come to India. Everyone in Israel must serve two years in the military after high school, and when they get out they are given some seed money for whatever. A lot of them travel with it, and a lot of them come here so we have met ALOT of Israelis. Christine said with the exception of two guys we met in Goa, all the Israelis she has met have been obnoxious to her. I had quite the opposite impression, just because I am amazed that they are so spirited and happy. All that country has ever known their entire lives has been turmoil, and to meet people from there who don't bear a personality burden from the strife I think is remarkable. This led to a conversation on politics between us, and then politics and theology (which I hate discussing with her because I like Christine but when we talk about religion sometimes I want to hit her I get so frustrated!). Christine doesn't believe in the U.S. support of Israel, and I do. She asked me if that was because of my religion, if Christianity played a part in my support. I told her it did, but that was also because my Christianity plays a major part in all of my political decisions. This conversation took place in a rickshaw, and right bout that time we arrived at the Indira Ghandi Museum, so that was where it ended.

SO, Delhi. I like it here. Its nice to be in a city again. Yesterday I had lunch at McDonald's and dinner at TGIFridays. I have become an obnoxious American when I get to cities where I can have American food. Christine has now gone home to Udaipur, and I am here. I think I will be spending tomorrow (Holi--A holiday) with Anjali's family but I'm not sure. For now, its me in Delhi; just hanging out.

Some blogger notes before I go. My friend Brent has a blog (eightstar.blogspot.com) and his latest post is interesting, so I thought you might like to read it. Later!

1 comment:

8rent said...

I'm glad you appreciated that post enough to link it. Happy Resurrection Sunday!