Sunday, March 27, 2005

A Few News Tidbits

While I have some time here on the internet I thought I would tell you about a few news items that have come up over and over while I have been in India.

#1- A Pakistani actress named Meera has been fined by the government of Pakistan because she kissed a man (an Indian)in a Bollywood movie. The country claims that she is a cultural ambassador to India and as such should not behave in such a lewd manner. This is a transcript of an interview she did regarding the controversy. First of all, the idea of a government officially fining anyone for such a thing as kissing seems so ridiculous, but then I also think: if this had been a man, would it have been such a big deal? Is the government mad because any Pakistani would kiss anyone in a movie, or is this just yet another way to keep women reigned in and controlled. But all of this is my opinion. This is an interesting article with quotes from Pakistani women on the issue.

#2- The Government of Rajasthan is considering passing a law that would make it illegal for people to convert from one religion to another, specifically targeting Christianity. This occurred after some Hindu extremists attacked a group of people who were trying to attend a Christian convention of sorts being held in Kota, which is near Chittorgarh in southeastern Rajasthan. They physically prevented people from entering the conference and assaulted them. This particular group is also aligned with the popular Hindutva movement which claims, essentially, that Hinduism is the only religion of "true Indians" and has in the past caused trouble with Islamic citizens of India. (This is a VERY slanted article from Christianity Today about Hindutva issues.) Part of the reasoning I have heard behind this law is a fear that Christians may be bribing people to convert to Christianity by giving them money or livestock, or possibly manipulating people into conversion who don't understand what they are doing. I find these excuses ludicrous, because, although its possible, I can't imagine anyone bribing someone to convert to Christianity. Additionally, since conversion in Christianity is a soul experience, more than likely people who don't understand what they are doing will not be converted anyway. Tim is a religious studies major at Iowa, and when I was in Jaipur he brought this issue up with me. Apparently he had asked his host mom about it, expecting her to be outraged. But she was calm and told him it was probably for the best. Tim is a guy who takes religious freedom very seriously, and liberally, and we had a good discussion about it.

As for me, I think its sad. I can't imagine a place where people are scared into believing in a religion, simply because being a Christian is the basis for my life, worldview and belief system. If someone forced me to change religions, or didn't give me the liberty to believe in what religion I wanted, it would seriously damage my identity. Religious freedom is one of the most valuable rights (for me) that I believe I have in the United States. Although I don't always agree with the political ramifications of people using religious freedom as a way to advance their political beliefs, it is a very important right. I have numerous friends who believe in different religions, or no religion at all. And their ability, and right, to search and discover for themselves what is correct should be upheld and protected at all costs. To see a government take away that right for people, to shield its citizens from a different idea that may give their life more meaning than before, seems cruel to me. Everyone should have the freedom to believe what they want and create their own identity from it.

No comments: