Wednesday, July 30, 2008

she's outta there!

I’m currently in Khartoum all alone at the agency flat, and it so great to have some solitude! It has been so long since I have been on my own, and while I was concerned at first when I found out I would be alone for a few days it’s fine now. I have satellite television, my own internet connection, a washer and air conditioning. It seems like the lap of luxury after Darfur!

Now, when I heard Tony was going to be gone, one of my first thoughts was that I could try out the Indian restaurant that is near our flat. Every time I suggested it before, I always got the cold shoulder from him because he doesn’t like Indian food.

So I took a little walk tonight to the Indian place on the corner, and it’s a really cute place. I got some veg korma as takeaway, and let me tell you, it was divine! I know that my food standards have changed since I have been to Darfur, but this food is really good.

It’s funny to me how Indian food always reminds me of the essence of my life there. The smells of the spices and the freshly baked naan always takes me back to all the weddings, restaurants and street stands where I enjoyed some of the best food of my life. It has also become a comfort food for me. And I have eaten said food all over the world, not just in numerous cities all over the U.S. but also in Ethiopia and Sudan. Let’s see how many more places I can add to that list.

I am meeting up with a few people for ice cream tonight at Ozone. There are quite a few Geneina peeps in Khartoum at the moment because of all the relocating a few weeks ago. Anyway, you can definitely say that I am enjoying being out of Darfur. And then tomorrow night I leave for Maputo!

No comments: