Monday, July 07, 2008

babur khalaas

Our generator died yesterday. It was a gradual, tortured painful death. We have been pouring money left and right into the thing trying to keep it running until our new generators arrived from Khartoum. It had gotten to the point that we only had enough power to run the ceiling fans and our computers. Even printing would cause the thing to overload.

So, this day was coming. Thankfully it didn’t happen right away in the morning. At about 11 the thing finally quit. Our logistics guy was at a meeting, so our mechanic took me out and showed me what the problem was. Now, I know nothing about engines and am pretty hopeless when it comes to troubleshooting. But I DO know that what looked (to me) like an unrepairable crack was not very good. I had enough battery power to work until lunch, and then I went to the guesthouse to work. We had power AND internet there, so it turned out to be a cushy deal.

All this brings me to this morning, rocking out to my ipod (Muse, Duffy) in my empty powerless office. My co-workers are at the house waiting for a rental generator to arrive before they return, so I came all alone to open the office. Hopefully we will have power before my battery runs out!

No comments: