Monday, April 03, 2006

irrational

I have an irrational fear of several natural phenomena, namely tornadoes and fire. And because I have a fear of these two things, I am scared of anything that would cause these two things to happen, especially thunderstorms. Anyone who knows me well knows how deep my panic can be when a stormed brewed up, so you can imagine how I felt at the end of the day today when our intern told me we were under a tornado watch.

I instantly panicked and quickly became extremely fearful. What do you do if there is a tornado and you live in the 15th floor of a 26 floor building? Is it better to stay in the middle, or should you go to the ground floor where if the building toppled over you would be crushed? Needless to say, I am sure my irrational panic over the slight chance that I would be in a tornado instilled great confidence in my ability to compose myself should a great disaster occur and the Disaster Response unit of World Relief would be dispatched to the site. Maybe this is God's way of telling me I need to get over it.

It really stems from Little House on the Prairie. Yes, the harmless t.v. show (or harmFUL depending on how you look at it). I loved that show as a child and would watch it all the time. There were two significant episodes that remain ingrained in my mind: a fire that burned down the orphanage in Walnut Grove and killed two main characters, and the tornado that destroyed the Wilder house when Almanzo was gone and Laura was all alone with baby Rose. I still remember the cries of that little baby all alone in the root cellar...

Anyway, those stories have deeply impacted me, and now I have irrational fears. I don't think Michael Landon would be happy about that.

In other news, I see Switchfoot tomorrow! I'm so excited...can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I am going to have to disagree with you on your stance of thunderstorms being totally uncool. Nay, they are totally awesome (are there any other California-stereotype words I can work into this comment? hehe). I am a huge fan of thunderstorms, but that's ok. If you ever come back to Minnesota, I'll protect you, hehe. Perhaps even sway your opinion? Last fall our house was under a tornado watch, so of course we ran outside in the torrential downpour merely to cause a rucous (no idea how to speel ruk-us), and grab our lawn furniture. hehe, oh well.

So, now on to the main reason I am responding - Is Lovedrug opening for Switchfoot tomorrow night? The two of them are playing in Mankato on the 23rd, and Lovedrug is one of my fave bands!!! Let me know!