Wednesday, January 25, 2006

d.c.

Plans are in the works for me to go to D.C. on Friday. Barring a disaster emergency or some sort of unforeseen illness, I am going to see Christine! It’s been so long since we last saw each other. I said goodbye to her last May as I left India and she stayed behind to work at an orphanage on the eastern coast. She and I have been joking that we have never known each other in America, so we are both curious to see what the other is like “at home” and not out in the boondocks.

I told her to make a list of fun stuff for us to do, and she said she will. We will probably end up walking around the monuments on Saturday since its supposed to be sunny and in the mid 50’s, and then we will go to mass at the National Cathedral on Sunday. It will be nice to get away from Baltimore and have a little fun somewhere else. I told her that I am so excited to see someone who knows me, and talk with them about all the changes that have been going on in my life. Everyone here is nice, and we have had great discussions, but its not the same as talking to a person you have shared so much with, who knows you and who you know well.

Anyway, I am hoping this weekend will recharge me a bit. I feel like I have been living on the threads. I hate to say this, but I am not loving Baltimore. There is nothing particularly wrong with my experience here. Parts of the city are great and I am really looking forward to summer when you can wander around the Inner Harbor on a warm day…But it’s hard to love a city that has had 27 homicides in the first 23 days of the year. It’s just a huge contrast to practically every living environment I have had. Maybe it’s the type of place you grow to love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have loved being home this Christmas break because I am around a few really good friends who just know me and I don't have to explain myself.

Yeah, Baltimore has been odd. I still haven't found my niche. Even finding a church has been a struggle. If you have any advice on anything you've found, let me know!

RYC on xanga: You made me laugh at calling feminism the "f" word. So true.

I hope D.C. is amazing!

Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi, Leslie!

Don't forget to call me when you're free! I'd love to see you again. It's great to see a friendly face and spend time with someone that you have history with.

Have a fantastic time in DC!! Enjoy seeing all the sights. :)

~Katy