Friday, February 17, 2006

olympic couch potato

You would think that a sporting event like the Olympics would inspire most people to leave their homes and enjoy the great outdoors. Instead, the Olympics makes me a couch potato. I have spent so much time this week sitting in front of the television watching the Olympics. It entrances me. I am the prototype of the type of person NBC caters to in their Olympic coverage. All the heart-tugging bio pieces about this person being orphaned, or that person overcoming injury, or another person getting the gold medal in their last chance, I eat it up. I mean, how many people do you know that would actually cry watching coverage of Michelle Kwan withdrawing, or Shaun White on the medal podium. Come to think of it, how many people you know would admit to crying watching that?

Part of this stems from my belief that everyone should have the opportunity in their life to receive a standing ovation for something they did, and for something they deserve. I know from experience the overwhelming accomplishment and satisfaction you can have from that type of experience, and it makes me happy that other people can achieve that feeling.

I will say, however, that this Olympic coverage has made me much more interested in snowboarding than I was before. I have never really been into winter sports all that much, but that might be because I have such limited exposure (for example, I have never been skiing). But, watching snowboarding makes me interested in trying it.

Anyway, there isn’t much going on with me here (possibly because I have been watching the Olympics all week). I am still trying to adjust to everything. I am getting more used to being here, and feeling more comfortable at work. I am just beginning to figure out who I need to talk to to handle certain situations, so that is making things easier on me.

My boss is super quirky. He can be really random, and really funny. I just switched cubes, so we are right next to each other. It makes it easier to ask questions from him. Sometimes, though, he likes to sit and work with earplugs in to help him concentrate, so he told me yesterday if I called for him and he didn’t answer, that I should just ball up a piece of paper and through it over the wall to get his attention. Last night, right before I left for the day he started singing to himself “I’m a lumberjack and I’m ok.” And I sang back “I sleep all night and I work all day.” That really surprised him. He didn’t think someone my age would know Monty Python.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your boss sounds hilarious! I'm glad things are going well--even if that involves sitting on a couch watching the olympics. Do you have any recommendations for places I should check out? I've been feeling the need to get to know the city.

Laura